It is our aim at South Avenue Primary School to offer opportunities to our children that provide a variety of physical activity, school sport and physical education. Through continued professional development for school staff, we ensure that our children are provided with an improved, skill-based curriculum which supports the developmental needs throughout both key stages. In turn, we highlight the importance of a healthy, balanced lifestyle through cross curricular links in PSHE and Science. As a school we recognise the benefits of PE and how they provide support for not only the physical domain but also the social and emotional developmental needs. Through supporting the whole child, it is key that our sports clubs and competition cater for all abilities. When combining all of these attributes we hope that every child strives to succeed and has a positive and enjoyable experience in PE.
- PE at South Avenue provides challenging and enjoyable learning through a range of sporting activities including; invasion games, net games, strike and field games, gymnastics, dance, swimming and orienteering.
- The long-term plan sets out the PE units which are to be taught throughout the year and ensures that the requirements of the National Curriculum are fully met.
- Pupils participate in a two-hour, high quality PE lessons each week, covering two sporting disciplines every half-term. In addition, children are encouraged to participate in the varied range of extracurricular activities.
- All year group planning is adapted from the Primary PE Planning Tool as this scheme clearly covers the appropriate areas of the curriculum for each sport.
- Outside agencies provide taster sessions to introduce and encourage new sports such as rugby, cheerleading and skipping.
- Outside agencies provide clubs such as Irish dancing.
- Pupil voice completed and reviewed to assess children’s preferences and outside experiences.
- CPD training for staff to increase confidence and support warm and cool down activities. Additionally, supporting children’s needs throughout lessons.
- Each year a small group of Year 6 children are invited to become Sports Leaders for the school.
- KS2 participate in a 6-week swimming course once every academic year.
- Year 6 take part in cycling proficiency every year to ensure they are safe when riding their bike on the road.
Our aim at South Avenue is to motivate and encourage children to participate in a range of sports through engaging and fun lessons. By using the Primary PE Planning resources, the pupils develop their social, physical, emotional and cognitive domains of learning. We successfully develop children’s health and fitness which is demonstrated through their competitive determination for success. As a school we provide our children with the skills to live happy and healthy lives.